Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bike Train Pacific NW



Travel time

Excursions often take random turns. More than just your average excursion, I'm taking the month to travel. This journey's planning is based around friends and aquaintances. Each major portion of the trip will stop to explore the culture, scenery and most importantly reconnect with old friends. Besides the first leg of the trip being by mutated school bus, the rest of the journey should mostly be by BIKE AND TRAIN.

At the moment I'm visiting a pleasant forest retreat called the Green Springs Inn. Maybe it's the 44 mile bike ride from Klamath Falls, OR that seemed to be mostly uphill? Maybe it's that I'm out of shape a bit? Showing up at my first host's home seemed maybe too perfect. Justin Gordon has rehabilitated a small cabin in the woods. A musician/traveler/scholar/and sometimes worker of the building trades has offered to show me around this neck of the woods. Great forest scenery that I feel right at home at. I can name off a handful of native plants and wildlife at a glance. The smell of the forest in the air. It seems to be a very healthy forest in the tail end of the spring wildflower bloom.










I'll base here for the next few days, checking out the local scene in Ashland and relaxing in the woods here at Justin's. Tomorrow is a rain day so I'll spend that in a coffee shop reading and maybe knitting my first beany. (Thanks Justin)

Here I am riding around on Green Springs road and heading for Portland, the West Coast, Seattle, Bellingham, Victoria British Columbia, Vancouver, Whitefish Montana and my final destination being my hometown for my brother Lee's wedding.

1 comment:

  1. Charlie! Sounds like an amazing trip. I have always wanted to do a long bike trip. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete